Skiing Verbier on a budget
Despite traditionally appealing to the big spenders, the last few years have seen tour operators running more and more budget ski holidays to Verbier. The compact town is perfectly set up for ski holidays and its sunny slopes, good beginner runs and excellent off-piste have helped skiers of all levels and budgets warm to both the sport and the ski resort.
To feed and entertain those in the budget-conscious bracket a wider choice of reasonably priced bars, restaurants and clubs have opened up. In the evening, there’s a pleasing variety to Verbier's après-ski scene that appeals to the increasingly broad range of visitors.
Here are some top tips for budget skiing in Verbier.
- Timing is crucial; early or late season are both good, and January has some excellent ski holiday bargains. The popularity of Verbier with families definitely makes it somewhere to avoid during the expensive school holidays.
- You can avoid the more expensive areas around Place Centrale and the Médran lifts by staying in one of Verbier's satellite areas near the nursery slopes, or the charming Savoleyres (which also has its own ski area). The reliable (though busy) Verbier bus service means the resort centre and main ski lifts are still accessible.
- As far as refuelling is concerned, the golden rule to remember is that prices in Verbier rise with the altitude. For a budget lunch head back down to the village, where restaurants often have good-value set menus. Another option is to eat a big breakfast, have a snack for lunch and blow out at supper. This has the added benefit of giving you the run of the quiet lunchtime slopes too.
Cheap places to stay in Verbier
• During low season, Verbier package deals are excellent value. Try Inghams (www.inghams.co.uk) for their latest Verbier budget deals.
• The Bunker hostel offers proper budget accommodation in basic dorm rooms. The windowless rooms are indeed blast proof too!
• Verbier has a selection of supermarkets which makes self-catering easy. Check out Verbier Rentals (www.verbierrentals.com) for the best budget Verbier self-catering accommodation deals.
Budget restaurants in Verbier
• Verbier fast-food joint Harold’s, just off Place Centrale, serves juicy burgers which are great for filling up on the cheap.
• On the mountain, Cabane de Tortin - a short hike from the 4 Glacier 1 or 5 Glacier 2 Tbar - has spectacular views and good value self-service food, including rösti and fondue.
Where to drink cheap in Verbier
• Le Farinet, on Place Centrale, is an enormously popular place for Verbier après-ski drinks from around 4pm, when a generous happy hour kick-starts the fun in the conservatory (the glass roof slides back to allow the afternoon sunshine or snow in).
• Pub Mont Fort, near Verbier’s Médran lifts, has an enthusiastic, multi-national party scene, which includes lots of Brits and crescendos after 10pm. Good happy hour deals for earlier Verbier budget après-ski too.
• Wonderbar, between Place Centrale and the sports centre, is a favourite hang-out for Verbier’s season workers and live music fans. Cheap beers, internet access and pool, along with bands and DJs.
Budget-friendly ideas for families in Verbier
•Buy bargain plastic boards from ski equipment shops and take the kids tobogganing on the nursery slopes once the lifts are closed.
•Teenagers can head to the 10km toboggan run from Savoleyres to La Tzoumaz for more high-speed fun in the snow.
•The cosy La Monde des Crêpes, on Rte de la Poste, has every type of crêpe your kids could dream up, and more. It's a good spot for a budget-friendly and fun family meal in Verbier.
Read more MadDogSki money saving tips and budget skiing articles here.
Image copyright of www.verbier.ch