Verbier – Switzerland
Verbier is one of the top resorts in the world but it is working hard to shed its image of only being suitable for big spenders and expert skiers. The compact town, sunny beginner slopes, and English-speaking instructors all help to warm novices to both the sport and the resort. Tour operators have responded too with the introduction of more competitively priced holidays in recent years. The ski area is vast and deserves all of the accolades written about it, but is no longer a year round option with Mont Fort closing its summer ski operation a few years ago.
The resort itself has grown quickly over the last 40 years, which means that in places, it has lost some of its Alpine charm and village feel. If anything it will only get busier from winter 2010 with the introduction of direct flights to Sion from the UK, and a transfer time of under an hour.
- Visit one of the museums dedicated to the culture of the Val de Bagnes.
- Feast your eyes on the wonderful cakes at the Boulangerie-michellod and treat yourself to a cake that is like a work of art.
- For a change from skiing contact the guys at Ski Alternative and see what they can offer to tempt you off the mountain.
- Try go-karting on ice with your family or group of friends - fabulous fun.
- For an adrenalin rush, try paragliding with the Centre Parapente Verbier.
Posted by SkiHolidayStories on 26th January 2009
The end of last week and the weekend saw heavy snowfall in Verbier. Thursday was a lovely clear day with good snow both on and off the piste. The weekend saw the heaviest snowfall with Geneva airport being closed on Saturday for a short time which led to delayed flights. The snow finally began to subside late on Saturday giving those on the mountain the chance to get fresh tracks before lifts closed. Sunday was one of those perfect days which you will remember for the rest of your life, fresh powder, clear blue skies and sunshine.
At a glance
|Resort altitude||1500 m|
|Highest lift||3330 m|
|Lowest lift||821 m|
|km of piste||100|
|Number of lifts||27|
|Lift pass price||CHF 351/ 6 days|
Find it quick
- Get news!
- Get prizes!
- Sign up here!