Cauterets – France
Cauterets is easily accessible via Pau and Toulouse airports and once there the town has everything you need for a great skiing holiday on the doorstep. This resort offers a very different ski experience to the more established resorts in the Alps with uncrowded slopes, a genuine friendly French feel to the town and ‘more for your money’ prices, making it an ideal location for a great value skiing holiday. To that end, don’t come here expecting stereotypical French apres ski.
Recent investment has given the resort a high speed cable car linking the town centre with the slopes as well as better snow making facilities and improved piste signage and information. The ski season generally runs December to April, with heavy snow fall in March and April in recent years. The main bowl retains good snow conditions far longer than the majority of the neighbouring resorts and has skiing up to 2415m, making Cauterets (Corter-ray) the best bet in the French Pyrenees.
- Picnicking on the top of the Cretes run at Cirque de Lys with breathtaking views.
- Hiring a guide and learning to cross-country ski in the Pont d'Espagne National Park.
- Strapping on snow shoes and trekking up to the Reine Hortense Hostelerie for some good value French cuisine.
- Enjoying an indulgent myrtle tourte at tea time by the wood burning stove at the cost Salon de The.
- Treating yourself to a hydrojet massage at the local Victorian thermal spa.
At a glance
|Resort altitude||2500 m|
|Highest lift||2500 m|
|Lowest lift||1300 m|
|km of piste||110|
|Number of lifts||17|
|Lift pass price||€122 / 6 days|
Find it quick
- Get news!
- Get prizes!
- Sign up here!