Zell am See-Kaprun – Austria
Zell doesn’t conform to the stereotypical image of Austrian ski resorts, probably because it was already the hub of the Pinzgau region long before the arrival of winter sports. Originally a lakeside summer resort it has since developed its snowsports facilities and offers something to suit all tastes. The people of Zell (Tsell-am-zay) are efficient but welcoming and the resort caters equally for families and those after something more energetic, be it on or off the slopes.
Access is easy with direct trains linking Salzburg and the station in the centre of the town, and you can be in resort within a couple of hours of getting off the plane. The skiing is not extensive but you will struggle to beat the views and there are other resorts nearby that offer good day-trip opportunities. The nearby Kitzsteinhorn glacier acts as an insurance policy against poor conditions, with skiing available 365 days a year.
- Take a trip to nearby Salzburg for a fascinating day out.
- The nearby Krimml waterfalls are amongst the highest in Europe and will take your breath away.
- Contact Ski Safari and have a day out you won't forget - for the expert level only!
- Go for a tandem parachute jump and have a ride of your life.
- Sometimes the simplest things are the most enjoyable. Why not walk along the side of the frozen lake for a beer in Schuttdorf (about 20 minutes walk each way).
At a glance
|Resort altitude||755 m|
|Highest lift||2000 m|
|Lowest lift||755 m|
|km of piste||77|
|Number of lifts||28|
|Lift pass price||€216 / 6 days|
Find it quick
- Get news!
- Get prizes!
- Sign up here!