Saalbach – Austria
Saalbach is one of the biggest and most easily navigable resorts in Austria and offers a nice blend of Austrian charm with typical French convenience. No matter where you start from or which direction you travel in, the ‘Ski Circus’ of Saalbach, Hinterglemm and Leogang is a great circuit, and in the right conditions it is unbeatable. However, the snow is not as reliable as in many other resorts, with low altitude and many south facing slopes leading to patchy conditions at times, despite extensive snowmaking.
Essentially a hotel half-board resort with few chalets, visitors enjoy the varied mountain restaurants, picture postcard scenery and active après ski in the local bars and clubs where loud music until the early hours of the morning is the norm. It is difficult to find a more easily accessible resort with better infrastructure or livelier venues. Just check the snow reports before booking!
- Catch a snowcat up to the Spielberghaus for dinner and then return by toboggan. Truly exhilatrating.
- Follow the well-signposted circuit to take in the entire ski area in a day.
- Take a trip to nearby Zell am See-Kaprun or even the city of Salzburg for the Sound of Music experience.
- Have a go at driving go-karts on ice at Saalbach’s ice karting centre.
- Have a beer or three in Zum Turn – a converted jail with a surprisingly lively atmosphere.
At a glance
|Resort altitude||1000 m|
|Highest lift||2095 m|
|Lowest lift||930 m|
|km of piste||200|
|Number of lifts||55|
|Lift pass price||€227.50 / 6 days|
Find it quick
- Get news!
- Get prizes!
- Sign up here!