Obergurgl – Austria
Obergurgl was made famous by the emergency landing of a hot air balloon in 1931 by Professor Picard, a Swiss explorer. Since then tourism has boomed but development has been tightly controlled by the locals to keep the village pretty and traditional. As one of the highest resorts in Austria at 1930m Obergurgl (O-ber-gur-gil) offers a long season from November to May with an excellent snow record, and the new gondola to Hochgurgl has opened up over 100km of runs. Of these, the vast majority are suited to intermediate skiers.
The popularity of the resort with families means that it is well equipped for learning to ski and also explains the dominance of the quiet half-board hotel scene over rowdy après ski. Advanced skiers and boarders and party animals will probably find Obergurgl inadequate and should therefore consider nearby Solden instead. That said, if you are learning to ski or looking for a safe family environment you can’t beat Obergurgl.
- Head to one of three late-opening mountain restaurants for the best apres ski parties.
- Floodlit skiing is available on 8km of slopes every Tuesday evening
- Pay a visit to the Otzi museum to discover all about the way of life in the area thousands of years ago.
- The indoor golf centre may provide a tempting diversion, especially on a cold day!
- Take time to lunch at the new Top Mountain Star with its panoramic views to 23 mountain peaks.
Posted by Kate Whittaker on 13th April 2014
This was a trip that reminded us all how changeable weather is in the mountains. Not only did we ski three resorts in three days; Oberguergl, Soelden and Oetz but we also had three very different weather days. Super sunny on Friday in Oberguergl, cooler for glacier skiing in Soelden on Saturday and then knee-deep fresh powder on the piste in Oetz on Sunday that had us skiing till the last minute and arrivin
At a glance
|Resort altitude||1930 m|
|Highest lift||3082 m|
|Lowest lift||1793 m|
|km of piste||110|
|Number of lifts||24|
(92 km km)
|Lift pass price||€246 / 6 days|
Find it quick
- Get news!
- Get prizes!
- Sign up here!