Hintertux – Austria
The small mountain resort of Hintertux sits at the head of the Tux Valley, an offshoot of the Zillertal with its own culture and traditions. There is little more than a collection of hotels around the foot of the main cablecar but the lower villages of the Tuxertal provide more options in terms of accommodation and a varied après ski scene. The ski bus is very effective and connects all the villages to the access lifts in minutes.
The snow-sure slopes of the Tux glacier offer some of the most challenging and varied runs in Austria and are ideally suited to intermediate and advanced skiers. Beginners will find the area daunting and snowboarders are put off by the high volume of drag lifts, made necessary by the frequent poor weather conditions on the high slopes. The lifts on the glacier are open 365 days of the year and a lot of big names can be spotted training here in summer.
- Try some floodlit tobogganing from one of three start points
- Dig deep and treat yourself to lunch at the Gletschershutte. Its not every day you get to admire such spectacular views.
- Join the natives in a game of Hammerschlagen in any of the local bars. It basically involves hitting a nail into a tree stump and drinking a lot – you’ll soon get the hang of it!
- Nocturnal snowshoe tours run most nights are a romantic diversion from the usual apres ski scene (see www.natursport.at)
- Whilst skiing on the glacier why not take an hour out for a guided tour of the fascinating ice palace at Gefroene Wand.
At a glance
|Resort altitude||1500 m|
|Highest lift||3250 m|
|Lowest lift||630 m|
|km of piste||245|
|Number of lifts||77|
|Lift pass price||€215 / 6 days|
Find it quick
- Get news!
- Get prizes!
- Sign up here!